This is where Ivanka Trump dined with Modi
Debated to have the largest dining hall in the world, 5 star Hotel Taj Falaknuma Palace of Hyderabad is the epitome of royalty. Narendra Modi plans to accompany Ivanka Trump along with delegates of 101 different nations for magnificent dinner on Tueday night after GES 2017.
5 star Falaknuma Palace was indeed an obvious choice by the Government of India. Equipped with all modern state of the art facilities intertwined with the royal grandeur and its age old mystique history, this is one of the places you would always want to be (and maybe boast about).
The magnetic aura that the place provides, starts right with the meaning of its name, Falaknuma which means: Mirror to the sky. The name itself has an hypnotic charm which makes you want to visit the place atleast once.
Here are some interesting backstory about the grand palace, which was once a witness to royalty, eminence and nobility that existed.
- Nawab Viqar-ul-Umra, Nizam’s then prime minister, built the Falaknuma palace in 1893 which was bought by sixth Nizam, Mir Mahboob Ali Khan.
- Falaknuma (which means ‘Mirror of the Sky’ in Urdu) was where the sixth Nizam lived until his death in 1911.
- The palace covers over 32 acres, making shape of a marble scorpion at a height of 2,000 ft above sea level overlooking the old city of Hyderabad.
- The palace is majestic blend of Italian and Tudor architecture with 60 lavish rooms and halls including Durbar Hall. Interestingly, the hall is embellished with baroqure carved wooden ceilings, parquet flooring, regal walnut wood furniture and handcrafted mirrors.
- The Palace has seen fair share of distinguished foreign dignitaries, including Czar Nicholas II (heir to the Russian throne), King George V and Queen Mary, and other royalty from various parts of the world.
- The last state guest the Falaknuma housed was in 1951, after which the palace was sparsely used. When Mukarram Jah, the titular Nizam, found it difficult to maintain and was in financial trouble, he leased it out to the Taj Group in 2000.
- The palace was opened again in 2010 after the renovations were completed by Taj Group.
- One of the grandest elements of the palace is the 101 Dining Hall, where the official dinner for Ivanka will take place. The dining hall is claimed to have the longest dining table in the world. Reports say the table is 108 feet long, and simultaneously seat 101 guests.
- The palace library holds 5,900 books, and has a ceiling made of teak and rosewood. It is said to be a replica of the one at Windsor Castle, the royal residence in Berkshire.
- The Nizam’s suite, which has been booked for Ivanka, is the costliest suite at the Falaknuma Palace, now available to guests at a whopping cost of Rs 5-8 lakh per night depending on the time of the year.